Saturday, September 12, 2015

Sems 4 / M.ED ELT / UUM

            The new semester has just begun, and this semester is my fourth semester. My first emotion while was entering the Second Language Acquisition class was scared. There are many reasons why I felt scared at the moment. First, I knew this subject going to be tougher then last the semester subject which is Fundamental of   ELT. For the previous subject, I was totally struggling the whole semester. So, a new semester with another difficult subject that involve many theories and approaches was not something that everyone likes. I had taken this subject during undergraduate, and it was not my favourite subject, as it had required me to read and memorized many theories at the times.

            The second reason why I was scared, I was thinking about my lecturer since the day I registered this subject. So many rumors about SLA lecturer from my ex classmates in research method class last semester. I did not simply put negative thought on her, because last semester, many senior gave negative comments about my Fundamental ELT lecturer but it turns out to be very different with all the negative stories which end up that lecturer already became one of my living inspiration. So I still had a positive opinion about my lecturer, but I admit me with few friends betting on my lecturer personality and appearances. When the lecturer entered the classroom, all our imagination about the lecturer totally different in term of appearances and personalities. So the moral of the stories, for the second times after last semester do not simply accept all the stories from your senior.

            Regarding my fellow classmates, I very comfortable as last semester I did my Fundamental of ELT with them. In terms of mood, I think my fellow classmates always able to trigger an active mood during the discussion. Most of them are teachers that really in the field that have so many inputs and experiences to be shared with us. In directly, when they are so competitive it triggers me improve my knowledge instead of jealously over their abilities. It gave positive motivation for me to always prepare before class in order to be on the same level with them. I think my teacher’s style is the cause of the general mood in the class. Every semester, when I get lecturer that perfectionist, knowledgeable and strict it affects my mood and spirit of the subject. When I know there is a killer subject with killer lecturer, it makes me work harder than usual to fulfill my lecturer expectation. When the lecturer was too friendly, I was lazy and takes advantages in that subject.

           
I want to gain as much knowledge as I can through this subject. The grade is not the matter for me, I am kind of person that does not bother about grade because knowledge is not something can be graded through papers. I am curious to know and investigate, why sometime this theory work for some learners, but why it not work well for other language learners. The best part about this subject, I believe it will improve my critical analysis skills as through this subject I will require to read many academic articles that relate to the topic in the SLA. What is important for me, I remember as many of the things I learn in the class, able to recall its back and able to apply in my field of works and others subjects too. I hate being evaluated through discussion as I not the kind of person that usually actively participate in a discussion. I not an aggressive person in discussion and more reserve while giving my opinion about something. It can say that I have very low self confidence in sharing opinions or experiences with the classmates as I always felt there are so perfect while I am nothing compare to them.


            In conclusion, I hope this semester will be another great journey that guide me to become a better educator that not simply teach my students without understanding their real problems in learning a second language in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment