Friday, October 9, 2015

My experience as Second language learner.

During my primary and secondary schools, my experience in language learning was quite uninteresting. There were not much activity had been done by my English teachers. Most of the activities I did were drilling, reading comprehension and writing short essay. My English classes can be classified as boring. My English teachers were strict and they focused more on reading and writing skills. Most of the talks were done by my English teachers, they wrote on the blackboard or whiteboard, gave an explanation and asked us to copy and answer exercise from the whiteboard. I could not remember any classroom activities that had been done at the times.


 As students, I should ask my English teacher to conduct more activities in groups. I do believe that when students work in groups, even the weakest students will interact with others. At first, the students might refuse to talk, but once they gain the confidence and feel comfortable in the group. The students will interact and communicate will fellow groupmates. When working in groups, I will mix up with different level of students. So I able to learn from my peers that have good English, which will trigger or push me to a better level of English language. I should ask my teacher to conduct more speaking and listening activities instead of focus on grammar, reading and writing only. Through the speaking activities, I might feel more confident using the English language with others.  

However, during my tertiary education level, I felt much change to participate in the classroom. My lecturer always asks our opinions regarding any issues in the classroom. I enjoyed the casual conversation with lecturer and classmates. In the same time, each lesson will consist of group discussion.  During the group discussion, I have learned so many things from my friends in term of general knowledge or the subject matters. My lecturers never demotivate us by giving negative comment or teased us in front of other classmates. There are using the constructive ways, which I knew that their comment never have any personal intention, but only to help us to improve day by day. As learners, we need to be an open minded person, that able to receive, reflect and give feedback for comments which help us to develop ourselves into another level.
            I never feel that I am learning against my classmates, but I do feel against bad grades. I always feel grateful for having such understanding classmates that never underestimate my abilities. Even I know, I am not as good as them; but they never gave negative comments to myself. I love to hear their opinions during classroom discussion, and honestly since the day I join my master class, I feel more knowledgeable in term of education issues. In terms of instructor, I always believe that none of teachers or lecturers will scold the students without any reasons. There must be some reasons, if the instructor angry or frustrated with me. So as students I need to accept any comment from the instructor, because each of the comments important to improve myself in future. However, I admit that sometimes I feel pressure to get a better grade for the subject. During primary and secondary schools, in order to please my parents I always put pressure for myself to get the best result in the examination. However, as human I think we need pressure to ensure that we in the right track. People usually easy to lost track when we in our comfort zone. So, pressure is something good that will trigger us to work harder than usual.


No comments:

Post a Comment