Friday, October 16, 2015

The teacher has a job to do and pupils must accept this.


This incident happened to me 4 years ago when I worked as an English lecturer at a private college. However, I was only able to endure for that job only for a year. The reason I quit from the job because the college management kept on asking me to pass the students that did not deserve the passing grade. Some of the students did not show efforts in learning at all. They absent from the classes, did not submit an assignment, did not attend class presentation and unable to answer exam questions. So it is something normal if the students failed the subject, but the management did not like to see the failure percentages. What matter to them, students get good result, happy with the result, even it seems like the college selling their diploma.

            During the first semester, they ask me to change the result, as a newbie in the office, I did something that unethical by altering the students’ results in order to follow the top management request. I was afraid if I did not make the students pass the subject, they would not renew my contract since at the time my job status was a contract based. The contract would renew based on students’ performances on the subject. The management kept on threatening us with the contract issues. However, after following what was being asked by my senior and management, I kept on thinking what the purpose of teaching and giving ‘A’ to the students but at the end they know nothing about the subject. Is it good grade is real matter or the knowledge is the most valuable? I kept on imagine my students got a good grade for English subject, but when they go for practicum or a job interview, being asked by the interview panels in English but they unable to answer properly. It will destroy the college name, but it seemed I was the only person that think in that way while the management did not care about it. I kept on thinking about the situation, and started to feel unhappy to work at that place.
          
        However, during the second semester this kind of problematic students still happened in my classroom. I started to reflect my teaching lesson, whether I was neglecting something important in my classroom until my students unable to perform. However, when I investigated the same students’ attitudes for another subjects, I found out the students behaved the same ways for all the subjects being taken. So during the final examination, as had been expected the students’ failed the subject. This time I became more firm with my decision, my head of department had advised me many times to pass the students, even the academic officer ask me to alter the result. This time, all the other lecturers that taught that students alter the students’ result, except for me. Until the end, I did not alter the result. I even fought with my boss and academic officers and threw the students blank answer sheets on their table and say “I won’t change the result, if you guys want to pass the students so much, do it yourself”.  Started on the occasion, they never asked me to change any students result. I am so sick with the college which for me, they are making profit or easy money by selling the education without integrity.

            From my teaching experiences, I think the top management, parents and students need to really understand that teacher or instructor is not their object to fulfill their desire. Educator had been trained to teach the students to become someone better. Sometimes grade does not matter so much, but they need to learn from the indirect lesson the instructor wants them to learn. When the instructors ask to submit assignments on time, it is not simply being asked without reasons. The instructor needs enough time to check the students’ answer before giving the marks and feedback. Same also when instructor comment on students’ error directly or indirectly, even as students, we might not like it but we need to accept the comments. The educators have the right to comment since they are more superior compared to us in the class.
  
            The teacher being the class to teach the students. So, even students did not like to receive the commands or comments; the students do not have any choices, but to accept the comment and try to improve in future. From my experiences, good teacher that strict always been hated by students while friendly teachers that only love to be famous among students been admiring so much by students. For me, the strict teacher is the one that really care to help the students to gain the knowledge without worried being hated or love by students. What matter to them, to spread the knowledge to their students’. In contrast, famous teachers that always been closed to students, never give bad comment on students, actually are those that taking advantages in order to make them powerful in front of other teachers.

            As a student, I myself can differentiate between a good teacher and famous teachers. A good teacher never can about being closed with the students. When they are giving comments, the comment never has any personal intention, whether, to please the students to be happy with them. Good teacher more sincere in giving comments whether directly or indirectly. I admit that as students, I am not the kind of students that love to be closed with teachers. I always see my teacher as someone that superior than me that need to be respected at the same level like my parents. Now when I am working as an educator; can easily identify the group of students that try to be close to me with bad intention. As an educator, I do not like students to treat me as their friends. I have not been in the class to be friend with them; but to teach them; so they need to respect me.

No comments:

Post a Comment